Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 13:03:59 -0500, Kelly Phillips
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:23:56 -0400, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:36:53 +0100, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.

That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

App instead of program.

Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only
about phones annoys me.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).

Yes, people should get that right.

Saying less when they mean fewer is annoying to me. My local news makes
that mistake almost daily. "Less people attended the art festival this
year." Less people? WTH is that? Amputees? They mean fewer people, of
course, but it annoys me that I have to mentally translate.

Also, orientated instead of oriented, or drownded instead of drowned.

How about the misuse of evacuate?

"100 people were evacuated"

That's not misuse. You need a distinction between removed and evacuated.

I bet that was messy

Definition of evacuate

transitive verb
1 : to remove the contents of : empty
2 : to discharge from the body as waste : void
3 : to remove something (such as gas or water) from especially by
pumping
4a : to remove especially from a military zone or dangerous area

It fits that one fine.

b : to withdraw from military occupation of

You can evacuate a building but you can't evacuate people

You are in fact removing them from an area which isnt a building.

unless you pump their stomach or give them an enema.

Wrong, it's a variation on 4a