Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ Tekkieİ is offline

Default OT: Ring The Door Bell, Dammit

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:57:22 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson posted for all of us
to digest...

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 5:50:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 9:35:14 PM UTC-4, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 1:56:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/10/2021 1:18 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:33:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:23 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.
Attention Delivery Drivers:

Go to the back door and place the package on the table that we have
provided, underneath the overhang that will protect it from the elements.

I sure hope that that is your version of sarcasm.

Why do you say that? With UPS you can specify where to leave a package.
My mailman did that too, putting things on a bench.
Is that bench in your backyard?

Delivery instructions are one thing, and a bench under cover is also a great
idea. It was the "back door" that I have a slight issue with.

UPS's language is "Shipments that do not require a signature can be left
in a safe place, out of sight and out of weather, at the driver's discretion.

Note the last 4 words.

I've seen some backyards that I wouldn't want to go into in the daylight,
never mind after the sun has set. I wonder how many UPS drivers use their
discretion and simply decide "I'm not going anywhere out of sight of the
street or my truck."

I wouldn't ask a delivery person to go to my back door even though I live in
a very quiet, safe, and essentially secluded neighborhood. I think it's too
much to ask a delivery person to navigate my steeply sloped walkway or
rustic stone steps down to my walk-out basement level back yard.

There is a huge number of possible hazards that could be encountered
in the backyard of any given dwelling and I don't feel that it is right to
ask a delivery person to take risks just so my precious package isn't
sitting on the front stoop for a few hours.

I order thousands of dollars worth of stuff on-line every year and I have
yet to have a single item stolen or ruined by the weather. I live in the rust
belt BTW, so it's not all sunshine and daisies.

also get a text. Are you signed up for USPS Informed Delivery? UPS?
FexEx? They all have apps.
And I have all their apps, plus the Amazon app. That also wasn't my point.

Everybody's situation is different. I described mine. Yours is different,
and what works for me probably won't work for you. What works for
you probably won't work for other people, which was my point in posting
my original reply.

My neighborhood is safer than the one in which the UPS depot is located.
My yard is nearly flat and it's an easy walk to the patio door at the
back of the house. It's only about 40 feet longer than leaving things
on the front stoop.

The UPS guy is cool with all of that. It's the Amazon guys who are
prone to chuck the package at their first reasonable opportunity,
because Bezos is always pushing them. I'm pretty sure the UPS
guy isn't required to pee in a bottle so he can make more deliveries.

Cindy Hamilton

Amazon sells it, I wonder if Amazon drivers honor it. ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/Deliver-Packa.../dp/B07SV5BG58

Hmm, I could think of some custom made signs from that page.

--
Tekkie