CBHVAC

Default Efficient use of Air conditioner

"tom" wrote in message
om...
Can not convince wife about two things. Just want to bring it here for
a serious judgement:

1. Use Air conditioner for home at night:
Temperature outside = 69F, Temp in home = 81F,
Air conditioner trigger set to 75F

method A. With windows being open - My way
method B. With windows being closed - Wife's way

Question: which one make house temp drop faster and which one costs
less electricity?

PROBABLY B.

What you say? Simple..opening the windows will remove some of the warm air,
but unless you have a whole house fan pulling like hell, you wont be able to
use all that cool air out, and you still have latent heat in the walls,
floors, ceiling...furniture...etc..

But my queston is....why are you allowing your air in the home to reach 81F?
Set your thermostat and forget it...its cheaper that way..

2. Use AC for car in a hot summer day
Temperature outside = 80F,
Temp of a car parked in sun for one hour = very hot, don't know
exact temp

After getting into the car
Method A: open windows, drive for a moment then close the windows
and start AC. - mine
Method B: Start AC right away without opening windows. - wife's

Again...depends. Personally, my personal work van for example, has these
neat little vents in the taillights...fire the AC up, open they go, and out
goes the hot air....
And even when I was in CA,I didnt worry about that stuff...I just went on
with it...

Question: which one make car temp drop faster and which one costs
less electricity?

Thanks!

-Tom