Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Today's electrical SNAFU - a reminder to check!

The worse ones are those old brass lamp holders and stranded wire badly
fitted into it so after a while a whisker of the live stranded touches the
brass which is not connected to anything else. That made me swear big time.
It does not help when the lady of the house asked, well I wondered why it
tingled last time I put a new bulb in.. ahem.

Note, do not use metal stepladder in such circumstances with one hand to
steady yourself. I was young then....
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"AlanC" wrote in message
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 2:24:42 PM UTC+1, wrote:
inside the ceiling switch the red wires were joined and the
blacks went to the switch (one of them had red sleeving on it) resulting
in neutral switching and a permanently live feed to the light! I'm
getting a bit blasé in my old age so this near miss is a good reminder
to check!

I've come across the same thing in the past. About 10 years ago my
sister-in-law asked if could change the bulb in their outside porch light.
I turned the wall switch off and proceeded to remove the old bulb and
received an electric shock. Turns out the previous owner had fitted the
light and switched it on the neutral!