Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Today's electrical SNAFU - a reminder to check!

So why after getting that did they not trace the wires and fix it at the
switch end once and for all?
Strange.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
In the process of removing an over-sink light and shaver outlet I switched
off the ceiling switch (I presume there used to be a light fitted that did
not have an integral switch), the light went off so I was about to get to
work but something made me check first. Long story short: inside the
ceiling switch the red wires were joined and the blacks went to the switch
(one of them had red sleeving on it) resulting in neutral switching and a
permanently live feed to the light! I'm getting a bit blasé in my old age
so this near miss is a good reminder to check!
I've just stripped the paper underneath where the light was and someone
has written "live!" on the wall - presumably, 20 years ago they got the
surprise that I narrowly avoided today.