Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Phone divert.

In article , Chris Green
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article , williamwright
wrote:
Put the mobile in your pocket. What if you fall over and can't
get up? I never move without my phone in my pocket.

And it gets smashed when you fall. ;-) That's assuming it doesn't
fall out of your pocket when doing the gardening or whatever.

It doesn't get smashed because you have it in a case. My phone is
ancient and it and I have fallen considerable distances with no
damage except to me. It doesn't fall out of your pocket because
it's buttoned in. You are an old pessimist when it suits aren't you?

I really can't be bothered carrying a phone with me everywhere at
home. And it's not an ancient one because I want a decent one when out
and about. But at home I'd rather use the landline. In exactly the
same way as I prefer to use a computer to post here than the mobile.
And a decent TV to view things on, rather than a mobile. And so on.

As in the Unix philosophy single devices which are good at doin one
thing:-

Landline phone - for making phone calls Camera - for taking pictures
Laptop - for interactive computing

E.g. when at home the phone rings and I pick it up to answer, no button
pressing, things that don't work with wet fingers, swipes that are
different on different phones, etc.

My (pocketable) camera has a proper viewfinder, have you ever seen a
prefessional/competant photographer using a camera without a viewfinder?

I think you have seen my point. I didn't ask the question to be told I
should simply carry my mobile at all times. If i was happy doing that, no
point in the question.

Do like the rather good snapshot camera in my phone, though. It probably
gets as much use as the phone itself. And the convenience of it. I'd not
bother carrying a separate camera unless I knew I'd use it.

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.