Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Phone divert.

"Fredxx" wrote in message
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
Put the mobile in your pocket. What if you fall over and can't get up?
never move without my phone in my pocket.

And it gets smashed when you fall. ;-) That's assuming it doesn't fall
out
of your pocket when doing the gardening or whatever.

It doesn't get smashed because you have it in a case. My phone is
ancient and it and I have fallen considerable distances with no damage
except to me.
It doesn't fall out of your pocket because it's buttoned in. You are an
old pessimist when it suits aren't you?

I really can't be bothered carrying a phone with me everywhere at home.
And it's not an ancient one because I want a decent one when out and
about. But at home I'd rather use the landline. In exactly the same way
as
I prefer to use a computer to post here than the mobile. And a decent TV
to view things on, rather than a mobile. And so on.

I want a phone that fits comfortably in my pocket, so not too large.

Me too, thats why I dont buy the Plus versions of the iphones.

I make sure there is nothing else hard or metallic in the same pocket.

I do too, in fact never have anything else in that pocket.

I also used a protective cover that has protected it when I've dropped it
a few times.

I hardly ever drop phones but so have a softer silicon
backshell for mine. That will help unless you happen
to drop it face down in something that sticks up and
is small enough to get past the significant ridge of
the silicon backshell at the front of the phone that
keeps the backshell on the phone.

I tend to have it with me when around the house and work.

I used to do that around the house but now dont. It sits next
to where I sit most of the time and I do have it in my pocket
when up on the flat roof etc.

Almost always have it in my pocket when out of the
house, only very rarely forget to take it with me.

I used the landline for internet only and use the mobile for all calls.

Me too, works much better.

I often use a Bluetooth headset to free my hands if I want to carry on
with what I'm doing.

Yeah, I do that when listening to podcasts when doing
less interesting stuff around the house that takes a while.

I did have one phone where I cracked the screen whilst in my pocket.

I havent managed to do that yet.

I'm pretty sure I leant on it, bit still got it repaired under warranty.
There were no hints of any marking on the outside so was explained as a
spontaneous crack.

Like watches

I have always hated watches and tolerated them when there
was no viable alternative. Never wear one anymore, I dont
need the time often enough to matter to need one now.

I ask alexa or google for the time
now and siri when out of the house.

I don't want to pay too much for a phone that is easily broken or stolen.
All mine have been sub £100.

I dont care about the price now that I have realised that
I will never spend my vast accumulated wealth before I die.
I buy whatever works best regardless of price. But dont
buy the latest whenever a new model shows up. Still using
the iphone 6S because it does almost everything that I do.
Inductive charging would be more convenient but the main
alternative is the new 2020 but it doesnt do 5G so it makes
sense to wait till it does given that it isnt here yet outside
the state capitals and I go there very rarely now.

I prefer touch ID to facial recognition because I pay for
everything except the garage/car boot sale stuff using
the phone and have registered my thumbs so its a very
quick and simple action to take the phone out of the
pocket and wave it at the terminal with the thumb on
the home button. Not much worse with facial id tho,
just less convenient in the car, the phone sits in the
bin in the dash with the home button end sticking
out so its easier to unlock with touch id.