Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: Ring The Door Bell, Dammit

On 6/10/2021 9:35 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 1:56:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/10/2021 1:18 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:33:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:23 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
Attention Delivery Drivers:

When you deliver a package, ring the damn door bell. Don't just drop it-
or toss it- near the front door and run.

If you don't, it can sit there for hours- or even overnight- offering up
a fat target to porch pirates...or getting soaked in the rain- like
yesterday's delivery by the Amazon van.
Attention Delivery Drivers:

Go to the back door and place the package on the table that we have
provided, underneath the overhang that will protect it from the elements.

I sure hope that that is your version of sarcasm.

Why do you say that? With UPS you can specify where to leave a package.
My mailman did that too, putting things on a bench.

Is that bench in your backyard?

Delivery instructions are one thing, and a bench under cover is also a great
idea. It was the "back door" that I have a slight issue with.

UPS's language is "Shipments that do not require a signature can be left
in a safe place, out of sight and out of weather, at the driver's discretion.

Note the last 4 words.

I've seen some backyards that I wouldn't want to go into in the daylight,
never mind after the sun has set. I wonder how many UPS drivers use their
discretion and simply decide "I'm not going anywhere out of sight of the
street or my truck."

I wouldn't ask a delivery person to go to my back door even though I live in
a very quiet, safe, and essentially secluded neighborhood. I think it's too
much to ask a delivery person to navigate my steeply sloped walkway or
rustic stone steps down to my walk-out basement level back yard.

You do have to have some sensibility as my bench in the back was a short
walk, all level, paved or concrete.

There is a huge number of possible hazards that could be encountered
in the backyard of any given dwelling and I don't feel that it is right to
ask a delivery person to take risks just so my precious package isn't
sitting on the front stoop for a few hours.

If a hazard, driver discretion. Not everyone has hazards to the back
door. In my present house, it is front door and not visible from the
street. I'd not specify back door.