Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Truck problem. What was wrong, and did it really get better?

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:46:25 +0000 (UTC), danny
burstein wrote:

[snip]

sounds like the transmission went into what's
called "limp home mode". That happens when
a whole bunch of possible things go wrong,
so it locks itself into second gear so that
you can get off the highway and, well, limp
to a repair shop.

Sometimes these things are a momentary hiccup,
which, once they reset, are a-ok for the duration.

Other times, though....

There are lots of diagnostics to check out
what happened. They might, or might not,
give you the answer...

I have a medium-prices (at the DIY level) code reader. I don't remember
it saying anything about transmission codes. But they're read using the
same connector, iiuc.

Yes, here we are, for example.
https://repairpal.com/automatic-tran...code-p1740-573

Well, it supposed to rain for the next 34 hours, but I guess I can do
this in the rain. At least it won't be hot.

I'm glad I didn't leave my code reader in my car, which I left at my
friend's house when I took his truck.