Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Truck problem. What was wrong, and did it really get better?

I borrowed a pickup to take junk to the dump, and it's been working fine
for 2 days. Today, on my second trip to recycling, on the Xway, it lost
power, and I was slowing down. I pulled to the shoulder and let it idle.
Automatic transmission, I noticed that I'd probably been in 2nd for 5
miles. Is that likely to cause this problem? (FWIW I couldn't see the
gear indicator from where I was sitting, and it was tricky to get it to
engage in any gear.)

The engine temp, oil pressure were normal. I followed the shoulder to
the exit, about 4 miles before I would have gotten off, and I was able
to go 30mph but probably no more. Stopped at a 7-11 and bought
transmission fluid, but I coudln't find the under-hood release (only the
in-car release.) I also couldn't find the 4-way flasher or the
windshield washer!!

It about a 2001 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 Magnum Laramie SLT with, oops, 250,000
miles.

I was stopped at the 7-11 for 10 or 15 minutes and when I got going
again, the truck seemed to run fine. No opportunity to go more than
40mph, but it did accelerate from 10 to 35 while going uphill. That
seems pretty good.

So

I haven't googled yet, but how do you open the hood on this truck?

I needed the wiper to get rid of the big blob from the cicada, but I can
do that manually. Before the car trouble, at about 20 mph, another
cicada hit me right in the eye!