Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Should we seal new wooden doors when swollen?

On 6/10/2021 10:45 AM, Sandra Vaughan wrote:
We live in Virginia and are having our house remodeled. New interior,
solid wood cherry doors were installed before the summer humidity, but
not yet stained/sealed,Â* Now that the summer is here they have all
swollen and are sticking.

Question - should we wait until the dry weather in september when the
swelling should go down to have them sealed?Â* or should we adjust the
frames now and seal them while they are swollen.

The remodeled should know what to do.

Regardless if you have sticking doors the door should probably be
adjusted, not the frame. Assuming you door frames were correctly
installed.

If only replacing the door and not the jams, trim the doors to fit and
seal/paint/stain.

Keep in mind that you should also seal the tops and bottoms of the doors
to reduce swelling.