Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Storage ideas for redundant stairway

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 10:57:03 +0100, R D S wrote:

I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath so
can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how to
make the most of it?

Some sort of ferris wheel like contraption?
I'd be interested in other's ideas.

Probably not to stand another 'Lidl plastic utility cabinet' on the
lower stairs ... ;-(

Do you have access to the side of the stairs?

On a much smaller scale, when I build a bed across the end wall over a
worktop in the box room for stepdaughter I also built a set of free
standing stairs (better for bare feet than ladders / steps) from a
seat height platform at the bottom (first step onto the bottom step /
seat) then up the 4 steps to the side of the bottom of the bed).

So, not only did you have an 18" cube at the bottom of the stairs for
storage, but I also opened up the side from under the top tread down
to the bottom, put a shelf across and also provided access into the
back of the first riser from in there. The top tread was also
accessible from the side like a pigeon hole.

Basically the whole internal volume was accessible it was surprising
how much stuff it would take.

So *if* side access was available to you on yours, block off the
bottom with a vertical 'wall' and then shelve / partition out the
steps to suit the sort of things you might need to store?

If it isn't then I've seen different depth draws built around the
lower steps, maybe with some bulk storage space on top?

Cheers, T i m