Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Halogen to be banned

On 09/06/2021 15:24, Mark Carver wrote:
On 09/06/2021 14:25, NY wrote:

We tend to use Philips Hue for bedside lamps, and these can be set to
anything from cool shady daylight (probably about 10000 K) to very
warm tungsten (about 2000 K). I find that a sunlight temperature
(about 4000-5000 K) is a good compromise. Supposedly warmer light than
that is better for reading in an evening, so as not to stimulate the
body to produce melatonin which can cause problems getting to sleep
because the body sees it as daylight rather than "time to feel sleepy".

I doubt LEDs will work in our John Lewis 'touch sensitive/three level'
bedside lamps.

(I notice the current version on their websiteÂ* takes an LED bulb)

I'll start stockpiling spare halogens for ours now....

Very wise. Dimmers intended for incandescent lamps tend to be leading
edge. Even if it did work, I suspect the different non-linear
characteristics would mean that the LED lamp wouldn't dim nearly as much
as the halogen.

I'm sure halogen will still be available in its guises, but not from the
leading manufacturers, and so be of a somewhat variable quality.