Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default 10" delta bench band saw

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 9:32:13 AM UTC-4, Rob1973 wrote:
I recently bought a used band saw and after a week or so i went to use it and low and behold it blows the breaker just before it locks into on position.. Ive tried different outlet and higher quality extension cord.s.. My first thought is the switch but dont no how to determine if thats the cause. My little test shows theres power at the switch but thats all.. Any help would be appreciated before i start order part for no reason thx
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/1m1m

Have you tried to move the blade by hand? With all that exposed rust, I'm wondering
what the inside looks like. Can the wheels even turn? Can they turn freely?
You might be over-drawing current because the motor can't get started.

If you can't test the switch with a meter, another way to test it is to bypass it.

- Unplug the machine.
- If you can remove the wires from the switch, do that and short them together.
- If you can't remove the wires, short the connections with a jumper.
- Plug in the machine (or plug the machine into a switched power strip if
that makes you feel safer. That's what I usually do.)

If it starts, it's the switch. If the breaker pops, it's something else.

But try to spin the wheels first. In fact, with all that rust on the blade, I'd take it
off before I did any further testing. Then try to spin the drive wheel. Then the idler
wheel. If they both spin freely, proceed with the above steps, just letting the motor
spin the drive wheel - assuming it can.

Whacking the motor with a rubber or wooden mallet might help also. It could be stuck
from non-use. Whacking it at start-up attempt is best, but if the breaker pops right away,
that may not help. It often works with motors that hum but won't start.