Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Halogen to be banned

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 15:21:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , nightjar
writes
On 09/06/2021 09:39, ss wrote:
..."Sales of halogen lightbulbs are to be banned in the UK from
September, with fluorescent lights to follow, under government climate
change plans"....

Apart from a few, rarely used, lamps that have yet to be changed, I
have long converted everything to LED.

Hmm.. I have about 25 twin 5' florries in my workshop in 4 switched
banks. This may be the moment to do the LED conversion.

I've still got florries lighting worktops under the cupboards in the
kitchen. Can you now get LEDs that would give as even an illumination? If
so, I'd be tempted to change if a dimming electronic ballast fails.
They're probably obsolete now.

Even better, you can get direct substitutes. I bought two four foot
long LED tubes for the utility room, which fitted the existing ballast
after replacing the starter with a dummy.