Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Who remembers these ? ...

"JNugent" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 12:58 pm, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 12:51:24 +0100, Andy Bennet wrote:

On 09/06/2021 11:27, NY wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiJTl_fw7KA

knew they weren't a figmet of my imagination

Until the packaging was opened, I was expecting them to be chocolate
cigarettes, rather than convention squares of chocolate in a
cigarette-like box. I bet it took some effort in those days to animate
the boxes "walking" along.

Frightfully pohsh voice that says nessles not NessLay

No wonder us ruff types never got edufercated proper

I thought it used to be 'nessels' but I wasn't sure if this was a
colloquialism. Not my imagination then.

"Nesslay's Milky Bars"...

...said no-one, ever, until the Swiss parent company started to get
uppity.

Yes my recollection is that Nestlés' name (on Milky Bars etc) was pronounced
Nessles in UK adverts until about 20 years ago when the correct French
(Swiss-French) pronunciation made it to the adverts in the UK.

I wonder whether non-English speaking countries are as scrupulous about
pronouncing English brand names correctly rather than using their own local
written-to-spoken rules.

Another one is Volkswagen:

Voolkswaggon or Follksvargon?

I have heard quite a lot of people pronounce Seat (Spanish VW-owned car
brand) as seet (as in something you sit on). Even I know it is Say-at. I
presume that is based on Spanish pronunciation of this (in Spanish) made-up
acronym from Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Turismo.