Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default More on bike rack problem

On 09/06/2021 10:55, Murmansk wrote:
I recently posted an item about a towbar-mounted bike rack and the problem I had with the attachment bolt getting stuck and being damaged when I removed it by force.

I've managed to order a new bolt from Witter and it will come with the bit of metal that holds the nut. My puzzle now is how I'm going to remove the bit of metal holding the bolt

This picture shows the thing in question

https://user.fm/files/v2-9b5da063c16...rier%20(1).jpg

From my picture it looks as though the thing would slide out but it won't because the metal has a slight "tab" punched in it on the inside at each end to make it wider than the hole it sits in. I've tried to pinch it with a G clamp and hammering it but it's too strong to move it.

I'm at a loss to know how I'll take the old one out and put the new one in?

You mean the U-shaped piece? It looks more to me as if it is "riveted"
slightly on the outside, presumably on both sides.

I would just grind that region off with an angle grinder. Alternatively,
cut it in half at the middle where the screwdriver is, and slide each
half out in the appropriate direction.