Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Rafters

On 08/06/2021 09:47, JohnP wrote:
In my double hipped roof there was a timber nailed at an angle between two
of the centre rafters. It was in the way when I came to fit a loft ladder
so I removed it!
I assumed it was there just to hold them in position when the timbers were
being installed when the house was being built..Sorry I cannot elaborate
with pictures, but do you think this could be likely? It wasn't nailed
particularly well

Diagonal bracing (or lack of) is something that surveyors always look
for, even if the property has roof trusses and the gable-ends are brick
and block right up to the apex providing plenty of lateral restraint.