Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Vaccine causes virus mutations?

On 08/06/2021 04:08, FromTheRafters wrote:
Rod Speed was thinking very hard :

"FromTheRafters" wrote in message
Snit expressed precisely :
On Jun 7, 2021 at 6:35:00 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote
:

Snit explained on 6/7/2021 :
*On Jun 7, 2021 at 5:44:27 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote
:

*Snit was thinking very hard :
* On Jun 7, 2021 at 12:44:04 PM MST, ""Rod Speed"" wrote
* :

* Snit wrote
** Rod Speed wrote
** Commander Kinsey wrote
*** Doesn't giving a coronavirus vaccine to everyone
increase the chances of the virus mutating to avoid the
vaccine?
** Nope, it's the reverse of that, the virus can only mutate
in infected people and so the fewer that get infected, the
less the chance of it mutating.
** Exactly!

*** So we should be using it sparingly.
** Nope, we should be vaccinating as many as possible with
the best vaccines to reduce the number who get infected.
** Yup. And they are nearing what they think is herd immunity
in New York.*** Amazing.
* Dunno, nothing useful on that with
https://www.google.com/search?q=herd...ty+in+New+York
* Gotta link ?
*Did more looking into this. Need 70% to get to herd immunity:
*It is COVID fatigue causing compromises I think, 85 to 90
percent is better but 70 sounds more "doable" at this point in
time. Not enough IMO.

*I have the same feeling -- but no evidence to back it.

https://www.biospace.com/article/exp...erd-immunity-/

I was thinking in terms of the US. But, yes, if there are mutations
where the
immunity is reduced then the idea of herd immunity goes out the window.

A relevant part:

"At this point, data is not yet clear on whether the vaccines from
Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech, while highly effective at preventing
symptomatic disease, also stop the spread of the virus.

That part is just plain wrong.
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/cli...cines-do-reduc

So the words 'reduce' and 'stop' are synonyms to you?

To be fair, reducing transmission may bring the rate down enough that
the virus cannot transmit to enough hosts and dies out, so a reduction
could cause a stop.