Posted to alt.home.repair
Deguza[_3_] Deguza[_3_] is offline

Default PVC for water main?

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 7:41:27 AM UTC-7, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Deguza writes:
Hello all,

I have been searching on the Internet to find out if I can use PVC to replace my resting steel main water line. So far nothing definitive came out.

I live in San Jose California, so cold weather is not much of a factor.

San Jose has a nice office that you can all to find out the
answers to such questions. Or you can call valley water (or great oaks
in parts of south SJ) and ask them.

I'm aware of at least one home in SJ that replaced the
feeder from the main water valve to the house with 1" PVC
35 years ago.
My main goal is to get something that does not rust.

Are you talking externally or internally?

Thanks for the suggestions. Since I wrote my initial question, I found a PDF document from the San Jose city permitting department. It explains things a little.

I also dropped them an email with some questions if PEX can be used, since they say that I should use the same material throughout the piping. If I would use PEX, it needs to couple to steel pipe going into the crawlspace.

Valley Water seems like the water source management agency, however, I will contact San Jose Water. the water distribution company, as well.