Posted to alt.home.repair
Deguza[_3_] Deguza[_3_] is offline

Default PVC for water main?

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 4:33:04 AM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 1:13:36 AM UTC-4, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

I have been searching on the Internet to find out if I can use PVC to replace my resting Steel main water line. So far nothing definitive came out.

I live in San Jose California, so cold weather is not much of a factor.

My main goal is to get something that does not rust.

Thanks,

Deguza

Main water line where? In a basement in a home? Underground from the street?
A quick call to the plumbing inspector would give the correct answer. California
may have requirements specific to earth quake issues. For lines from the street
here in NJ they have been using poly for decades now. I would think that's an
excellent choice for CA underground too. It's tough and flexible. PVC is hard and
easier to crack with movement.

The current galvanized steel pipe is underground from the street to the external wall of the house. Then it goes into the crawlspace.