Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ Tekkieİ is offline

Default Samsung TV & soundbar

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 04:42:26 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 posted for all of us to
digest...

On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 4:25:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 15:13:05 -0400, Tekkieİ wrote:

Hi all, U Tube has decided that my 6 yr old LG 55" tv is not a smart tv
(whatever that is) LG has confirmed this. It had a doa connection for the sound
bar when I hooked one up about 18 months later-out of warranty, so I don't LG
again. We called it Loser Grade at work...

I am looking at Samsung TV's Can anyone give me advice on what to buy? Basic or
more features? What is a "Smart TV". What do the various screen types provide
that would benefit us? Should I buy last years model? Should I get a Samsung
sound bar? Looking at the Samsung site is like the tilt o whirl.

I am disabled so unpacking and setup must be done by others so a Walmart or
similar buy would be out of the question.

Let the thoughts flow, thanks in advance.

Smart TV s have internet connectivity built in.
non Smart TV s need your laptop or a TV box to feed it internet.

Why are you replacing the 6 year old TV ?

That's a good question. Apparently something to do with Youtube needing
a smart TV, but I don't understand that.

There is an app that Comcast/U tube uses to allow it to play. U Tube and LG
both stated I need a streaming device. I believe U Tube updated the app lately
and that is what caused what they call a buffering error. I suppose the TV
doesn't have enough horsepower.

.. perhaps your sound problems are buried in the TV's
confusing nest of Settings menu ... ?

Agree, that's a possibility. Also many of these have more than one way
to get sound out, eg HDMI, so there may be more than one way to hook it
up to a sound bar even if one output does not work.

Not on the present TV. The only combo that works is RCA jacks from DVR to sound
bar. One RCA output on the TV doesn't work.

I found that my Smart TV "operating system" was quite awkward
right-from-the-start so I used it like a normal TV with occasional
frustrating attempts to connect to the web; then over a few years
the "operating system" became slow/outdated and there was
no way to upgrade it at all. I bought a TV box off Amazon for ~ $ 60.
and it was OK but I still prefer to just connect my laptop to the
TV. Some folks buy a re-furb desktop and use it for the streaming -
and keep it connected permanently.

That sounds like a better option than replacing the TV. I never bought
a smart TV, partly for that very reason, that you have to deal with whatever
software and interface they have built in.

Physical setup is pretty easy if it's set on a table -
It'll take longer to open the shrink-wrap on the remote batteries !
:-)
.. if hanging on a wall mount - it's a bit trickier but not rocket
surgery.
I don't have a sound bar - just use the TV speakers for normal
viewing and Harmon Kardon computer speakers when streaming .
- most folks want _big_ sound though.
John T.

See previous posts.

--