Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ Tekkieİ is offline

Default Samsung TV & soundbar

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 16:25:28 -0400, posted for all of us
to digest...

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 15:13:05 -0400, Tekkieİ wrote:

Hi all, U Tube has decided that my 6 yr old LG 55" tv is not a smart tv
(whatever that is) LG has confirmed this. It had a doa connection for the sound
bar when I hooked one up about 18 months later-out of warranty, so I don't LG
again. We called it Loser Grade at work...

I am looking at Samsung TV's Can anyone give me advice on what to buy? Basic or
more features? What is a "Smart TV". What do the various screen types provide
that would benefit us? Should I buy last years model? Should I get a Samsung
sound bar? Looking at the Samsung site is like the tilt o whirl.

I am disabled so unpacking and setup must be done by others so a Walmart or
similar buy would be out of the question.

Let the thoughts flow, thanks in advance.

Smart TV s have internet connectivity built in.
non Smart TV s need your laptop or a TV box to feed it internet.

Ok, thanks.

Why are you replacing the 6 year old TV ?

I don't want to. LG states it won't work with streaming. The U Tube app has
been problematic lately in loading new posts.

.. perhaps your sound problems are buried in the TV's
confusing nest of Settings menu ... ?

Nope the bad ears are the problem and tiny speakers on the TV don't help.

I found that my Smart TV "operating system" was quite awkward
right-from-the-start so I used it like a normal TV with occasional
frustrating attempts to connect to the web; then over a few years
the "operating system" became slow/outdated and there was
no way to upgrade it at all. I bought a TV box off Amazon for ~ $ 60.
and it was OK but I still prefer to just connect my laptop to the
TV. Some folks buy a re-furb desktop and use it for the streaming -
and keep it connected permanently.

No computers to dedicate. The only thing I stream is U Tube.

Physical setup is pretty easy if it's set on a table -
It'll take longer to open the shrink-wrap on the remote batteries !
:-)
.. if hanging on a wall mount - it's a bit trickier but not rocket
surgery.

The present TV is wall hung, 40#, and we are disabled so no go.

I don't have a sound bar - just use the TV speakers for normal
viewing and Harmon Kardon computer speakers when streaming .
- most folks want _big_ sound though.

Because the sound was lousy out of the TV we got the sound bar around 18 months
later. One of the connections the sound bar needed out of the TV was faulty
from the factory. We ended up connecting it to the Comcast DVR. The Comcast
remote will control all functions EXCEPT turning off the sound bar. We have to
use the sound bar remote because the Comcast DVR is on all the time outputting
to the sound bar.

John T.

--
Tekkie