Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default BRIGGS AND STRATTON Quiet Muffler

On 6/7/2021 9:03 AM, Sid 03 wrote:
I am looking for a replacement muffler for our 5 hp Troybuilt tiller.
But I don't want a standard replacement, I want something to make it very quiet or as quit as practical or possible (practicable).

I have seem people weld up car mufflers, but that might be an extreme.
Just wondered if I could find something prefabricated that would make the motor as quiet as our electric leaf blower (on low) ?

Thanks

When I was a teenager, a couple years ago :=), I build a muffler for the
go kart we built, using an old handheld torch propane tank with 1/2"
iron pipe screwed into holes drilled/filed in the ends of the cylinder,
which we stuffed full of course steel wool. Another short 1/2"pipe
nipple was screwed into the 1/2" NPT exhaust outlet on the engine and
connected to the muffler through an elbow. Most of what you could then
hear was the clanking and rattling of the engine parts.