Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:37:32 -0400, Dan
wrote:

On 6/6/21 10:22 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 06:16:42 -0400, Buck Fiden
wrote:

On 6/5/21 7:17 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel braided hoses.
I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of the hoses.
I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed and
attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

In a proper install, the water supply threads should be pointing down.

Dang !
.. now I'll have to fix mine - to make it "proper" .. :-)

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/washi...ting/p/3236324

John T.

A rubber hose stressed by a 90 degree bend and water hammer every time the washing machine inlet valve closes is a water leak waiting to happen.
No big deal in an unfinished basement but could do thousands in damage on a second floor.

I forgot about water hammer. 90 degrees or not, it's absolutely a bigg
cause of leaks in washing machine hoses, and the steel covering prevents
the damage from excess swelling. When I was buying my steel hoses, the
manager of the hardware store told me they had a lot of people coming
with spurting hoses.

If you turned the water off every time you were done with the wash, the
leak would only start when you were around and only last until your
laundry was washed, but how many people do that.

They make a speed valve that will turn off both hot and cold easily, in
one stroke, , but it wasnt' clear it would fit on my fixtures, and it
would have to be way behind the washing machine. Others may have the
same objections because I never see that gizmo for sale.

I had a leak from the tube that goes to a toilet, chrome-plated copper?
Fortnately for me, I was only out of the house for 2 hours that day. It
still poured down into the basement and loosened the non-ceramic tile in
the powder room and hall. I ignored that and in a few days it appeared
to be stuck to the floor again.