Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Stairlift - batteries/maintenance/instruction/opinions

On 07/06/2021 12:23, AnthonyL wrote:
My neighbour got a Horizon Platinum stair lift in 10yrs ago for his
wife. Shortly afterwards she became totally bedridden so the lift
hasn't been used.

He had tried to get it removed, expecting some payment but he was told
he would have to pay to have it taken away. I can't work out if this
is fair or a means of extracting more from the elderly.

In any event he now has need of the device himself.

He can't find the instructions though it doesn't seem that hard to
operate, but there is a low battery warning. I guess this is
understandable anyway after 10yrs but I can't find any instructions as
to how to replace them, or what regular maintenance is needed eg
lubrication.

If he decides he does not want to retain it and views as to fair and
reasonable alternatives? It is a straight staircase - a dozen steps.

Stannah make it difficult to change batteries too. Their best bet is
probably to find a service guy that others recommend. There is a bit of
a second-hand market but suppliers and dealers know that old and
vulnerable people don't have many options.

I had one put in when my mother in law lived with us, but took it out
when she went into care and died. I've kept the bits because they are
custom rails for a curved staircase. There's possibly more of a DIY
market for second hand straight ones.

If the old one worked OK, it's probably best to get it fixed rather than
look at replacements.