Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default c section bowden cable outer

In article ,
newshound wrote:
In article ,
Chris Holmes wrote:

Hi All,

I have a bike that has 3 lengths of exposed Bowden cable.

Id like to sheath these, but would like to avoid having to disconnect and
reconnect the inners.

Can anyone think of a suitable (preferably black) C section thingy in
plastic / rubber / Ali that I could slip over them?

Have you considered wrapping them with loom tape? That's PVC tape with no
adhesive. Comes in a variety of colours, but mainly black. You do have to
secure the final end with a cable tie, etc.

Isn't that going to give excessive friction? Presumably you mean wrapped
under a bit of tension.

Just read it again. Bowden cable consists of an inner and outer. So not
clear if this is that, or simply a cable? If just a cable it would need
pulleys etc to go round bends.

On bikes (typically for derailleur gears), you sometimes have stretches
of bowden cable for the curved bits and then stretches of "inner" that
run between pillars on the frame, these support the ends of the bowden
cable at either end so that the inner remains in tension.

The inners typically have a nipple only at one end for the operating
lever, so they can be fed through everything. They sometimes have a
pulley wheel for changes of direction. The free end is fixed by a screw
clamp in the derailleur mechanism.

My reading is that the OP wants to "sleeve" the exposed cable for some
unspecified reason.