Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Water butt connector

On 07/06/2021 09:25, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:32:19 +0100, newshound

But I was interested to
find that the reinforcing "spring" in the Machine Mart hose, which is a
very tough thermoplastic, does in fact soften very satisfactorily in
boiling water while still retaining enough strength to grip when pushed
on to the threads. I just thought others might find that information
useful. The pipe looks and feels superficially as though the "spring"
could be metal, in which case of course the approach would not work.

Agreed. It look far less likely that it might all (as you say, inc the
anti-crush reinforcement) respond to heat but seems to.

I've done various other sorts of bodge on that type of hose before, on
the previous connection I needed to attach it to something like domestic
sink waste pipe, and I did that by wrapping the pipe with Sylglas/Denso
Tape and twisting that inside the MM hose. Followed up with my favourite
wrapping with PVC electrical tape under tension.

The trick with all that sort of thing is understanding the mechanics
of what is going on. I've seen people try to join / fix fuel hose with
insulation tape and seem surprised when it more or less melts or
un-glues in front of them or things that instantly burst off out
though because of pressure.

Oh indeed. Pressure, temperature, chemistry. But I do find you can make
surprisingly effective and also neat-looking connections with tape. For
one of my sink drains, I had to couple solvent weld and compression pipe
where there was no room for a compression coupling. But telescoping the
tubes together and wrapping with stretched PVC tape has worked fine for
25 years. Also, it would be easy to dismantle if I need to.