View Single Post
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline
external usenet poster
Posts: 1,591
Default Water butt connector

On 06/06/2021 21:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Fredxx
On 05/06/2021 18:12, Tim Lamb wrote:
Anyone come across a source for a *leak proof* bulkhead fitting for
standard 68mm rainwater pipe?
¬*I am fitting out and old galvanised tank for rainwater harvesting
(first¬* job, glass fibre the inside to hide the rust) and want to
arrange an¬* overflow using a diverter coupler which means the fill
pipe will be¬* below water level before the overflow level is reached.
¬*Water gathered from a 55' x 18' roof so I need the full 68mm size!

Is the fibreglass tank circular or does it have a flat side?

Can you uses a access connector, with the 'plate' on the inside of the
tank. You would need to cut the access hatch plate to make a suitable

I would have thought, with some silicone sealant, and using the plate
with longer screws, ideally stainless designed for constant immersion,
this would solve your need.

The access plate would make a handy template for making the holes.

Hmm.. That might do!

The tank is an ancient rectangular 4' x 3'6 x 3'6 riveted galvanised
steel construction I have been using as a secure chemical store after
fitting a hinged lid. The exterior is sound but the inside had some
rusting hence the glass fibre.

The fill pipe could be a sliding fit in the lid and your *hatch plate*
outlet extended and insect proofed above planned water level.

So far, I have not found a bulkhead or tank connector adaptable to 68mm
although I take the point that the plastic can be stretched with the
application of heat.

IBCs (Intermediate Bulk Container Tank) are cheap and don't rust, plus
if translucent you can see the water level. Just a thought.

Can you insect-proof the top of the drain pipe?