View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline
external usenet poster
Posts: 6,938
Default Water butt connector

In message , Fredxx
On 05/06/2021 18:12, Tim Lamb wrote:
Anyone come across a source for a *leak proof* bulkhead fitting for
standard 68mm rainwater pipe?
I am fitting out and old galvanised tank for rainwater harvesting
(first job, glass fibre the inside to hide the rust) and want to
arrange an overflow using a diverter coupler which means the fill
pipe will be below water level before the overflow level is reached.
Water gathered from a 55' x 18' roof so I need the full 68mm size!

Is the fibreglass tank circular or does it have a flat side?

Can you uses a access connector, with the 'plate' on the inside of the
tank. You would need to cut the access hatch plate to make a suitable

I would have thought, with some silicone sealant, and using the plate
with longer screws, ideally stainless designed for constant immersion,
this would solve your need.

The access plate would make a handy template for making the holes.

Hmm.. That might do!

The tank is an ancient rectangular 4' x 3'6 x 3'6 riveted galvanised
steel construction I have been using as a secure chemical store after
fitting a hinged lid. The exterior is sound but the inside had some
rusting hence the glass fibre.

The fill pipe could be a sliding fit in the lid and your *hatch plate*
outlet extended and insect proofed above planned water level.

So far, I have not found a bulkhead or tank connector adaptable to 68mm
although I take the point that the plastic can be stretched with the
application of heat.

Tim Lamb