Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Vegan children have stunted growth

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 11:07:15 -0700 (PDT), Scribbles
wrote:

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 6:48:30 PM UTC+1, charles wrote:

a great many years ago, Prince Philip said that there were only 3
statistics that mattered and theyb were vital.

--

Something has always puzzled me about people who follow proscriptive diets (vegan, halal, kosher, etc).

OK ...

If a such a person invites me to dinner, they will no doubt serve me their preferred type of food and I will probably enjoy it thoroughly.

Not necessarily, but even if it was the case, what is there in
non-meat / egg / dairy food that you can't eat?

On the other hand, if I offer return hospitality, I will be expected to research new recipes,

If you want to offer them such hospitality yes, but are you saying you
have never cooked and eaten veg, or had a salad, or Quorn?

shop for unfamiliar ingredients and stress over creating dishes I've never made

If it's that much stress, don't invite them for a meal, or ask them if
they would prefer to bring non meat / egg / milk based food in?

I'm sure if they were really friends they would prefer that than you
getting all hot under the collar over it?

before rather than relax in good company with food I'm accustomed to cooking and which reflects my way of life.

But isn't innocent of taking another creatures life, whereas their
choice is.

If I don't do all of that, the chances are the diet-follower will be mortally offended and thus will end the friendship.

Then I think you need to find better friends.

Hey, I like some vegan/kosher/halal dishes.

Well, the chances are you have been eating plenty of 'vegan food' all
your life. ;-)

Why can you not be broad minded enough to try some of mine, too?

Because you are making the mistake about what it is you can eat (or if
it's animals, how it's killed) when it's all about what you shouldn't
(want to) or don't need to eat.

The chances are that your vegan friends weren't raised vegan and have
chosen that lifestyle / diet since, so they know very well what meat /
eggs / milk taste like and probably enjoyed it, just that now they
prefer their food without all the associated death and suffering?

They are inviting you out for a game of tennis.
You are inviting them out foxhunting, not golf.

(I feel I should add here that, of course, if a dinner guest has an allergy or other health condition which precludes certain foods, then I will do my utmost to ensure the offending item(s) has no place on the table.

So you would be happy to cater for them and their accidental food
aversions but not some they choose themselves?

Nothing kills a dinner party quicker than killing a guest.)

I'll take your word for that. ;-)

Cheers, T i m