Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey[_3_] Commander Kinsey[_3_] is offline

Default ATTN: Rod Speed: Alexa et al listen in on you.

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 22:04:22 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 05/06/2021 18:49, Commander Kinsey wrote:

When I worked at a university, we did some studies on voice
recognition. The main thing I found was more processing power makes a
lot of difference. One of the systems we had, you could see it thinking
about it, getting a better match as it went along. A slow processor
can't keep up with a fast talker. I don't know how good a processor is
in Alexas.

Surely Alexa's processing is done centrally by the Amazon server.

That's a rather silly way to do it. They'd need a huge system, and there would be problems with latency. You don't need that much CPU to process voice, it should be inside the device.