Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default c section bowden cable outer

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 16:01:25 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

Good post.

Cheers.

My guess was that the OP wanted to keep water, mud, and grit
off the open runs, perhaps they are extreme mountain bikers.

But unless that was abrading the frame somehow, isn't the only real
'weak spot' any open cable guide or upward facing, short outer-link
that might collect crud (down the hole between inner and outer, often
nylon lined these days)?

While the
split conduit that I suggested is not completely waterproof (unless it
is glued shut) it could be expanded and taped over the posts supporting
the ends of the existing "outers" to minimise water ingress at these points.

No, all the other options could be perfectly valid, *depending* on
what the OP was trying to achieve ... and a 'slip on' solution was
closer to the desired solution of something that required the
loosening and re-threading of the inner (and we know how much of a
pita that can be if the end is at all frayed). ;-(

Cheers, T i m