Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default c section bowden cable outer

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 08:28:51 -0000 (UTC), Chris Holmes
wrote:

Hi All,

I have a bike that has 3 lengths of exposed Bowden cable.

I’d like to sheath these, but would like to avoid having to disconnect and
reconnect the inners.

Can anyone think of a suitable (preferably black) C section thingy in
plastic / “rubber” / Ali that I could slip over them?

Butbut isn't the point to save the weight and friction of having the /
an outer over the entire length of the cable run?

What is it OOI you are trying to achieve here? (genuine question).

If it's to stop the inner touching the frame tubes I think you can get
little rubber beads that can do that (although they may need to be
threaded on so not what you were hoping for) and if it's to protect
the cable from corrosion / the_elements then this extra cover is going
to have to either be short of the fittings on the fame to allow for
cable movement or allowed to slide up and down as the inner moves
within it, potentially creating a water trap for more corrosion?

Or maybe something is pushing the inner against the frame (like
luggage) and you need the outer to protect the frame / luggage from
the friction?

Cheers, T i m (with several solos and a tandem). ;-)