Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Mini review: Aldi battery mower

Jim Jackson wrote:
On 2021-06-04, Paul wrote:
One weakness of lithium, is if you let it run down,
below the "low" fill line, the charger will refuse to
charge it. For safety reasons (plated out lithium).
I expect the reason the mower was unusable after
four years, is improper maintenance over the
winter interval.

I've had a battery mower - this is it's fifth season. Removable batteries.

Curious what you consider "improper maintenance" - not recharging
batteries? I always keep mine charged. But what else is to do over
winter on an electric mower? I always clean mine out every other cut.
I suppose re-sharpen the blade.

Jim

"Sloppy", would be running it down to zero, pushing it
into the garage, shutting the door, coming along next
spring and noticing "gee, the charger refuses to charge it.
Broken charger ???".

That sort of thing.

The average consumer isn't a rocket scientist.

To give an example of science, a twit down the
street left their Prius in the drive for six months,
no apparent "engine turnover and charge" or anything else.
Is the battery pack in a Prius, impervious to such
treatment ? Is it lithium ? Or NiMH ? It just seemed
strange that they left the Prius sitting there, and
drove some other gas guzzler instead. Why would you own
a Prius, if you didn't plan to take it out every couple
days and allow it to maintain itself ?

You would think they would rotate their two vehicles
and keep them all happy.

Paul