Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Towbar mounted bike rack problem

Could it have become bent or as you say, damaged. I'm not sure how these
things are supposed to actually work myself, but it sounds pretty crude.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 04/06/2021 21:01, Murmansk wrote:
I have a Witter bike rack that attaches to the towbar.

You put it on and at first it's all loose and of course will lift
off, then you tighten a big bolt which at first is really easy as it
goes round for quite a few turns without much resistance, then as it
grips the towball you give it a couple of really firm turns with the
spanner to make it fully grip the ball.

Removing the rack is the reverse of the above where you apply big
force for a couple of turns to loosen it, then lots of relatively
easy turns to make it loose enough to actually come off the towball.

The problem is that once I've loosened it enough to make the rack sag
but not actually come off, the bolt starts to feel really tight again
- almost as tight as it normally does at the last stage of attaching
it - so much so that I feel as though I need to apply so much force
as to damage the thing.

I'm now left with the bike rack attached and sagging but can't remove
it and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

I'm tempted to suggest that the bolt thread has been damaged so it can't
be unwound fully.

I'm not sure what to suggest apart from more welly.