Posted to uk.d-i-y
Murmansk Murmansk is offline

Default Towbar mounted bike rack problem

I have a Witter bike rack that attaches to the towbar.

You put it on and at first its all loose and of course will lift off, then you tighten a big bolt which at first is really easy as it goes round for quite a few turns without much resistance, then as it grips the towball you give it a couple of really firm turns with the spanner to make it fully grip the ball.

Removing the rack is the reverse of the above where you apply big force for a couple of turns to loosen it, then lots of relatively easy turns to make it loose enough to actually come off the towball.

The problem is that once Ive loosened it enough to make the rack sag but not actually come off, the bolt starts to feel really tight again €“ almost as tight as it normally does at the last stage of attaching it €“ so much so that I feel as though I need to apply so much force as to damage the thing.

Im now left with the bike rack attached and sagging but cant remove it and Im wondering if anyone has any experience of this?