Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Save time cutting plywood

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 1:48:47 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 6/3/2021 12:11 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 11:15:16 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one
sheet to cut

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk

Guessing that is a 10" table saw he is using. So it has about a 4" depth of cut.

Well that is nor right, for the vast majority of 10" table saws. 3" and
a bit over is the max I have ever seen. MY ICS SawStop cuts 3.125" deep.

So recalculate everything below. :!) 4 sheets max.

Went to the basement and measured my Delta Contractor saw. It has about a 3" depth of cut. I rarely if ever try to cut maximum depth so never even measured it until your comment. I guessed wrong on the depth of cut. 4 sheets max per cut. But I probably over estimated on the 7.25" circular saw too. It likely only cuts 2 sheets of plywood instead of 3. So some of my calculations may have been right after all. Ha! Better to be lucky than good or smart. Kind of like the guy in the video.

5 sheets of 3/4" plywood. A 7.25" circular saw has about a 2.5" depth
of cut. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. So he is able to cut 2 more sheets
with the upside down table saw than if he used a common circular saw.
It is an improvement in productivity. But enough to warrant the extra
effort? Looks like the stack of plywood he is cutting is about 3 feet
tall. About 50 sheets. So it will be 10 passes with his upside down
table saw compared to 17 passes with a circular saw. Worth it? Its
easier to push a circular saw than an upside down table saw. So I bet
the effort and time used for 10 upside down table saw passes will be
more than the 17 circular saw passes. So in the end its a negative from
a labor, production, perspective.

This chap needs to use his obvious and vastly superior mind to invent a new and better way to cut plywood.