Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham Harrison[_3_] Graham Harrison[_3_] is offline

Default OT: Online prescriptions. Better than Boots?

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 13:21:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 12:11:21 +0100, GB
wrote:

snip

So, can anyone confirm if I should be able to get at least say 1 years
worth of prescriptions delivered (monthly presumably) *without* having
to keep requesting them please?

Boots Online customer service seem worse than useless. ;-(

The online pharmacy service isn't really part of the main Boots online
presence, AFAICS. I think it's really more like a big pharmacy branch
that has some boxes to post stuff in.

;-)

They have their own phone number,
which is only manned a few hours a day, but which does get answered.

Ok, I might give that a try as the 'Computer says no' email is less
than helpful:

" Thank you for choosing the Boots Online Prescription Service.
Unfortunately, we cannot complete your order at this time for one or
more of the following reasons:

* the GP has not approved your order:

o within 48 hours
o because a review of your medication may be required, or
o your prescription is not yet due

Please contact the GP as soon as possible to discuss this order, so
that you can get the medication on time."

Except it's a PITA to contact my local GP and I really can't see why
(in 2021) they can't sort it all out between them?

eg, I have a regular (and single) prescription and until that changes
or I die, it just needs to carry on doesn't it? And it's not like it's
one of those £2000 a packet jobs? ;-(

I don't leave them to do the repeat prescriptions, but order stuff from
the GP myself when I need it,

My Mrs was a bit like that (for some reason I never bothered to ask)
keeping the repeat prescription at the local branch and then
submitting it some days before it was due?

and the GP's system has the correct Boots
branch on their records. No complaints.

Yes, that old 'manual' system seemed to work ok, just that it was
recommended we go 'keep away' during the main lockdown.

I suggest that you ring the Boots online pharmacy number and discuss the
issue with them.

I'll give it a go.

p.s. And why the fcuk do they have to put the box of tablets, in a
plastic bag, in a box ... so big that won't go though the fairly large
letter box.

Same here. I guess it's easier for them that way.

But surely there could be a 'small packet' that would contain most
basic 1 month prescription of tablets? I mean, they are already
individually contain within foil / blister packs, wrapped with paper
(instructions), in a strong postal spec bag ... they would be fine in
just the bag?

I wonder how much a years worth (of 5mg Amlodopine) would cost and how
much the system would save in admin and postal costs to send me a
years worth up front?

Cheers, T i m

Here in Somerset my surgery has two ways in which I can order online
and I suspect they are both available England wide (and maybe
nationwide).

The first I signed up to was "Patient Access"
(https://www.patientaccess.com/). The other is the NHS "App" - not the
NHS Covid App but the more generic one.

In both cases there is a registration process. I don't remember having
to visit my surgery for patientaccess and I definitely didn't have to
with NHS App.

However, both work on the basis that you have to manage your own life
by logging on and requesting medication. Once approved it goes to your
chosen, local, pharmacy. I'm quite happy with that arrangement and I
cannot remember whether the use of some form of postal delivery was an
option. Prior to Covid that worked rather well for me because I could
do things like order a week early if we were going away and the
reorder fell in the "away" period - I just added a note to explain.
These days I simply know that as the end of the month arrives it's
time to reorder.

Out of interest I looked at some of the online/postal services. They
ALL require you to register and they all require you to initiate an
order as far as I can see.

Having said they need you to manage your own life/orders I was
reminded that hereabouts my GP and local Boots have an automatic
reorder service but when my wife was using that she still had to
remember to go and get it.

My advice would be to phone your surgery (at a quiet time, not first
thing) and ask them what options they offer/suggest.