Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mini review: Aldi battery mower

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 08:12:17 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

snip

I have a self-propelled Mountfield (60V 4A battery). It is very good,
and cuts well. The self-propelled speed can be adjusted to suit the
user.

Hmm, it was the 'self propelled' bit that got her into trouble on a
mobility scooter recently but the mower should be ok as long as it's
not a 'ride on'. ;-)

I also found out by chance that the self-propelled motion works
whether the blades are rotating or not - in other words, it can be used
to just move the mower around on the flat, or up and down slopes, etc.

Assuming a push mower is reasonably free rolling her back lawn is
literally right outside the garage door (where a mower would be
stored) but the front lawn is accessed down the side of the
(semi-detached) house and so it could be handy for that. It's all very
much on the flat.

However, it is at least as heavy as the corded mower it replaced (25Kg),
and the battery is not only heavy, but the contacts in both the mower
and charger hold it very firmly indeed. I doubt that anyone with a hand
or wrist weakness would be able to pull it free.

And does it *need* to be removed for charging?

The dust collection container on her hand held G-Tech cleaner is a
struggle for me to get off (without risking throwing it across the
room when it does) and she can actually get that off!

We bought her a convertible shopping trolley, two wheels when taking
it there empty and then 4 wheels when it's loaded and it seems to have
the capacity of a wheely bin. She often pulls that back into the house
(up two steps) on her own with little issue so it's not a strength /
grip issue.

Daughter is due to re-lay the rear lawn after the rescue lurcher Mum
was looking after ripped it up like a racetrack so we have some time
to check stuff out.

Cheers, T i m