Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mini review: Aldi battery mower

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 21:09:46 +0100, R D S wrote:

snip

Did you get the charger / battery thing sorted or was that an 'extra'?

We got it sorted,

Good.

it's approx 85 quid without battery, 130 with, we
bought it with and battery/charger turned up today.

I suppose you might want to buy it without if you already have a
matching battery system.

Would you say it's any easier to manhandle than a corded mower with a
similar capacity?

It's easier for *me* than ****ing about with an extension but TBH it
feels a fair bit heavier than our prior pair of Bosch Rotaks.

Ah.

It's OK when it's on the ground but it is a bit of a lump to carry.

And I'm guessing the battery wouldn't add sufficient weight to make it
easier to move after detaching it first (like they do with some
take-down mobility scooters)?

I ask because Mum (92) was considering such a thing a while back (we
looked at them in Homebase) and likes to be self sufficient and if it
was fairly light / manoeuvrable and didn't have a cord to trip over
(more than cut though) it might be a solution for her?

I suspect she may struggle. Documentation suggests it's 16.5kg.

Assuming she can keep it on it's back then front wheels when getting
it in over the step up to the garage (as you would a pram / baby buggy
going up a kerb) then she would only be levering the weight up with
the handle, rather than dead-lifting the whole thing (with the front
half being easier as she would be pressing down and with a better
lever). Whilst she's still strong she's not always that steady on her
pins but I was thinking that the handle (like a walking frame) and
even weight might help her?

Do you lift the battery out to charge it and if so is that reasonably
light / easy would you say?

Did you run the battery flat and if so what sort of run time did it
give?

Cheers, T i m