Pop Rivet

Default wire nut connections

"Phil Munro" wrote in message
Pop Rivet wrote:
As for soldering, I did that in our home in Chgo. ...
I have to disagree with easy to get apart though. I
always had to fight that danged tape when I had to go

back a
few years later to do some upgrading and tapped into

some of
those lines. YUK! I can imagine what it would have

been
like to get that tape off the splices themselves!
O yueah, inspection went off without a hitch, too.

Pop

You are right about the tape. On the other hand, with

the good tape
being used these days, IF you can find the beginning of

the the end of
it, getting it off is not be too tough, even with a

good/proper wrap.
My point was really that untwisting a soldered splice is

surprisingly
easy even though the soldered connection is a very good

one. Of course,
I don't undo joints often, but there have been times.
Also, undoing soldered STRANDED wire is not what I'm

talking about.
Rather, I'm talking about solid #14 through #10. For

fixtures where
the pigtail is stranded, I use wire nuts these days; and

box room
allows this in those cases.
By the way, I should probably take out my sig below.

My work and
formal educational situation has almost nothing to do with

electrician
work, and I do not claim to be anything but self taught

when it comes
to wiring.
On the other hand, electrical engineering and the

knowledge it brings
certainly DOES bring ideas to help understand many code

requirements.
For example, number of wires in a box concerns heating and

mechanical
considerations (probably). --Phil
--
Phil Munro Dept of Electrical &

Computer Engin
Youngstown

State University
Youngstown,

Ohio 44555

Yeah, didn't mean to sound like I wanted to step on toes;
the "story" et al was just sort of swapping old sea stories.
I did understand, and agree, that soldered solid wire's not
bad to work with. Sort of an aside, now I'm disabled and
can 't do that stuff anymore, NOW I've learned to fold a
small tab on the end of the tape in case I have to get it
off at anytime in the future! Ain't it wonderful how great
hindsight is?

Cheers,

Pop

PS - you sig: Don't see a real problem - it's about a
department you're in, not YOU, so ... Format could be
cleaned up a little though. I ass-u-me you're staff?
It IS however, unadvisable to have your email address in
the clear like that. You would be better off, unless you're
already buried in spam, to change it to somethning like
PcMunro AT cc DOT yse DOT edu.
Still easy to read, and most spiders won't key in on it.
Mailto links are very specifically bad ideas on ANY
newsgroup!

These newsgroups are crawled by many nasty spiders that just
love to strip out email addresses to sell in spam lists.
You should also develop a nicname to go by and not use your
real name. Based on the info you've put in your post, I
would likely be able to tell you your address, who you live
with, your phone number, what banks you use, and with a
little luck b ecause it's Ohio, even your social security
number, within 24 hours. Easy pickings for identity theft.
A certain amount of paranois is healthy.