Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power washer uses and misuses?

On 6/2/2021 7:13 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 17:54:12 -0400, Tekkie© wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jun 2021 14:54:28 -0400,
posted for all of us to
digest...

A regular hose is plenty in addition to some coil cleaner and you
really need to take the top off and shoot the water through the coils
from the inside.
(I know a lot of HVAC techs)

+1 Especially the old ICP units that had the old playing card size grill on
them.

Spray the coil cleaner on the coils, let it sit for a minute or two,
then hose it off. Repeat if necessary.

Probably will.

If you know how to check the refrigerant level, you can do the "$100
clean and check".

If ya got the gauges use em, if you know how to interpret the readings.

If that is $29-$39 expect a hard sell for something else and if it is
free, expect them to break something. ;-)

Like a cap? Contactor? Refrigerant top off?

Worst case is he ice picks your system and tells you that you have a
leak.
On an old R-22 system that is the kiss of death.
There was a company here, infamous for it. I think the owner finally
got arrested but we never really heard much about what happened. He
was caught by the TV station in a camera sting tho. He may have got
away with a slap on the wrist. These weasels have a habit of just
forming a new company in someone else's name after too many
complaints.

Any "deal" on service is a sales call at best and could be a scam.
Generally speaking it costs about $100 for them to get out of their
truck for a service call. I am suspicious if the offer is much less
than that. I am certainly not going in the house for anything while
they are there.
Fortunately I do know some guys so I don't have to deal with
strangers. They still get $100 from me, usually cash. The rest is
between them, their wife and the IRS. ;-)

I see TV ads for $39 service. I'd not touch any of them.

The outfit that installed the units in our subdivision does two
inspections and cleanings for $144 up front. They seem to be legit and
are not trying to sell anything. They can schedule a bunch in the area
for the day making is good for everyone.