Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power washer uses and misuses?

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 10:31:14 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 2:32:12 AM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2021 17:45:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/31/2021 5:25 PM, Davej wrote:
Sorry to interrupt the (political) flow, but being the new owner of a fairly cheap pressure washer (Simpson 3300 2.4gpm, $300 on sale) I am curious about possible interesting uses that creative people may have come up with -- and also any warnings about what bad ideas are out there? I have one potentially bad idea -- I was thinking it might be good for cleaning A/C condenser units if careful to maintain distance? I have noticed that the stream really blows a tremendous amount of air, and if you remain more than a foot away (or more) from the target it seems to be just air and harmless mist. Also I was wondering how it might work as a trenching/honeysuckle removal tool (although mud goggles/swimsuit would be needed)? Also have tried it on vinyl siding (trying to aim somewhat downward) and have not created any holes yet.

Skip the AC coils. You can bend the fins and make a mess. Use a
cleaner and hose.

If you do mess up the AC fins, they make combs that are supposed to
straighten them out.

If you use some common sense you should be able to clean off the outside of a
central AC unit. The fins aren't exposed on the outside, the grill has slats that are
directional. Directing the spray so it mostly stays outside and not going in, keeping
far enough away to control the pressure and it should be OK. But if the coils are
dirty, I woudn't turn the power washer loose on those.

A regular hose is plenty in addition to some coil cleaner and you
really need to take the top off and shoot the water through the coils
from the inside.
(I know a lot of HVAC techs)
Spray the coil cleaner on the coils, let it sit for a minute or two,
then hose it off. Repeat if necessary.
If you know how to check the refrigerant level, you can do the "$100
clean and check".
If that is $29-$39 expect a hard sell for something else and if it is
free, expect them to break something. ;-)