Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey[_3_] Commander Kinsey[_3_] is offline

Default OT: How to attract cows

On Thu, 27 May 2021 23:10:09 +0100, Snit wrote:

On May 27, 2021 at 10:51:30 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
:

I'm surprised that you didn't know about them, didn't you work on a
dairy farm before? Were your cows degaussed?

No, I never worked on a farm. Perhaps you are thinking of my short
period with Express Dairies? https://www.linkedin.com/in/boaterdave/

//The degaussing system is installed aboard ship to reduce the ship's
effect on the Earth's magnetic field. In order to accomplish this, the
change in the Earth's field about the ship's hull is "canceled" by
controlling the electric current flowing through degaussing coils wound
in specific locations within the hull.//

We NEVER had a cow on board - not as far as I'm aware! ;-)

I knew about degaussing computer screens but not ships. Interesting.

They do it themselves. The 25"+ Sony Trinitron screens made a ****ing loud
noise.

Older ones had a button to do it.

Really? I had a BnW TV as a kid, and even that didn't have one. Must be an American thing, they never design things properly.

The static was more fun. Charge yourself up on a monitor in the office, then
tap some one on the shoulder. Strangely, it was them that jumped and not the
person doing it. Maybe just the unexpected?

For whatever reason I tend to build up a lot to static... shocking myself and
others. I have mostly just gotten used to it.

I had a colleague who couldn't handle any computer parts as he was guaranteed to kill them with static. Probably his clothes or shoes come to think of it. Everyone blamed him.