Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Toilet flapper valves

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 1 Jun 2021 13:12:28 +0000 (UTC), danny
burstein wrote:

In TimR writes:

About every two years my toilets start leaking into the bowl enough that they periodically refill. I guess my water is aggressive enough to eat away at them.

Last time I paid my plumber to do it instead of me, thinking he would have better quality parts. Nope, he went to Home Depot and bought the same stuff I did.

Is there anything better out there that will last a bit longer? Or is this just routine maintenance like filter changes.

Can't answer about better parts, but..

by any chance are you using the toilet cleaner disks or
similar garbage in your tank? These are notorious
for eating away at the rubber and pseudo rubber parts.

(I had a two part toilet - tank and bowl - and
the tank was dripping into the bowl. It took
a _lot_ of painful work (starting with replacing
the flapper and progressing to removing the
toilet, separting all the parts..) before I
realized the gasket between the two parts had
been damaged. ANd yeah, due to the specific design
the leakage went into the bowl instead of
the floor...

Well that's good. Who says there is no objective good in this world!

I have 2-part toilets too. I guess I'm lucky the stuff I used only
ruined my flappers.