Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default A Big Climate Problem With Few Easy Solutions: Planes

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I really don't see how you think this world (the environment)
is better than is was before we started ****ing it up, polluting
the seas with animal waste and plastics, the air with fossil fuel
pollution and habitat destruction and species extinction?

Trouble with that line is that its even more true of clearing
natural forests to grow plants and grain to eat.

But we don't generally do that (any more)
to grow food for us but live stock.

Not true of Brazil particularly.

In fact we let cattle roam free in natural vegetation and
eat the cattle and that ****s the environment far less.

Sure, except that doesn't account for the 98% of cattle that are
reared in feed lots and are never allowed to roam anywhere. ;-(

That 98% number is a lie. In spades with sheep.

There are several large areas set aside in parks and the likes
over here where they allow farmers to 'finish' their herd on
grass so they can sell it as 'grass fed'. Given the size of the
area (and we are talking about green and rainy England here),
they only seem to put a few (maybe 10) cows there and it's
obvious that fairly quickly it's all trimmed flat.

Nothing like that happens here on the all trimmed
flat and we don't do that with feedlot cattle either.