Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

On 28/05/2021 20:21, bert wrote:
In article , Theo
writes
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Â*Â* JohnP wrote:

Take care - CVT is sometimes used to describe a Hybrid - yet many
think it
means the cone pulley / Belt/ Chain arrangement.Â* My hybrid uses a
planetary differential to combine engine and motor. Some call it CVT.

Yup - that was the fault of Toyota on the original Prius. Used to
describe
what is more a differential drive. Perhaps CVT wasn't a copyright name?

They called it an 'e-CVT'.Â* Which is what it is, an electronic
continuously variable transmission.Â* The innards don't bear much
relation to
the belt drive CVT, but the way it drives is like a CVT (although with a
slightly different - less squishy - feel).

(Some CVTs have fake-manual gears which are just fixed ratios on the
CVT you
can select - possibly useful for getting you out of a snowdrift but
otherwise mostly pointless given the computer can select an infinite
range)

Theo

The Suburu does. Utterly pointless to me, undoing one of the advantages
of CVT

The only model of Levorg they sell in the UK is like that... they
claimed that that is what drivers preferred! (not to mention that 1.6
turbo is the only engine option)

(personally I would have the JDM 2.5L Turbo with a conventional gearbox)

--
Cheers,

John.