Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim...[_2_] tim...[_2_] is offline

Default Steam Gift Card scam?

"Tim+" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
Davey wrote:
A friend has asked me to buy £00 worth 0f Steam gift cards as a present
for her niece, and asks that I scratch off the backs to reveal PIN
numbers, and then send a photo of them to her. This sounds weird to me,
is it some kind of scam?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/gift-card-scams

this is someone scamming you out of money that you don't owe

There are a number of different gift token scams, this is just another
one.

and then using the gift card scam to collect it, so that you have no
route
to claiming it back when you discover you have been scammed.

The OP wants (FSVO) to pay his friend this amount of money, so can't be
being scammed in this way

No, the OP is being ASKED, by someone purporting to be his friend to buy
expensive gift vouchers and then immediately give away the value of said
vouchers by sending images of the codes.

Well I had rather assumed that the OP did actually verify that it was his
friend asking for this

Surely that's the first step you would take if you thought is was a scam,
before WASTING THE TIME OF the world asking "is this a scam"?

Frankly, if he hasn't done this, I am very very annoyed with the OP for
wasting my time, even if you are not.

Especially as 300 pounds seems rather a lot to be gifting to a niece of a
friend. 20 pound seem more appropriate for that to me. So it seems
reasonable to assume that there is some special reason for it being 300
pound that has been discussed by the OP and his friend.

If the OP is being scammed here, it is much more subtle

You must get scammed a lot if you cant see the glaring danger in this.

only because you think that I am idiotic enough to act on an email message
alone.

which I am most certainly not

Is
your email address valid? ;-)