Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Steam Gift Card scam?

"Tim+" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
On 28/05/2021 17:23, Tim+ wrote:
Davey wrote:
A friend has asked me to buy £00 worth 0f Steam gift cards as a present
for her niece, and asks that I scratch off the backs to reveal PIN
numbers, and then send a photo of them to her. This sounds weird to me,
is it some kind of scam?

Its a scam, 100%. Been covered on several radio programs.

Tim

Given the information presented so far - that is not at all clear. Yes
it could well be, but it could also be legit depending on the
circumstance.

If the friend had asked face to face
I doubt the OP would have posted here.

More fool you.

The requirement to send photos of the numbers rather than
posting to a known address is also a huge red flag.

Nope, not if the niece prefers to be able to use the cards quickly.

Yes, remotely it could be legitimate

Not remotely at all.

but given that this is a well recognised scam
doing the rounds at the moment leads me
to strongly suspect that this *isnt* genuine.

Your problem and easy to check if the friend did request it.